Please note that this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Rewards Style influencer and Jane Influencer, we earn from qualifying purchases and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
This past weekend I was sitting outside on the deck enjoying our beautiful Fall weather. I am so grateful for cooler weather, slight breezes and clear blue skies. Anyway, I was cruising magazines online and looking for a new craft project. I stumbled upon a Better Homes and Gardens article. To be honest, I don’t even know if this is a current article or an old one – I didn’t see a date. When I saw their “storage board” craft I was intrigued enough to read the article. I’m a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda girl. I quickly realized that I could make a similar board with materials right inside my house! No running off to the hardware or craft stores. I just went with what I had on hand. I knew I could make it work.
I went into our garage and pulled out a garage sale bargain purchase of 10 cents. It had some construction issues but it looks like washed out barn wood and it a larger size 17″ X 21″. Great deal – right?
Two of the corners need to be repaired…
…and glued back together.
Staples on the inside of the frame…
…needed to be removed. They came out easily.
I used the frame mat as a pattern guide.
I left the blue background mat in the frame for stability. I used the leftover backing from Jennifer’s shelf project as the main insert as the board for the fabric and batting. I did not use my good scissors to cut the backing board 🙂
I again used the existing mat as a pattern to cut the batting (sorry…no photo) and the blue fabric. This way I didnt have to measure anyting – again, I love that. Now here is where I made a mistake. I cut the batting and the fabric the same size. For the batting, this was fine. For the fabric, not so much. I forgot to cut extra length to make the pocket. So, I had to cut another piece of the blue fabric, adding about eight extra inches for my frame..
I chose to use tacks to hold the fabric and batting in place. This worked perfectly and held in place very nicely.
Literally 15 minutes after I started this project it was complete. I was so happy that for once I was organized and had everything I needed on hand. The pocket can hold a good bit of weight. It easily holds my appointment book.
I also tacked up some inspiration pieces…
…and this very super adorable photo – from many moons ago 🙂
I’m very happy with the end result, and so glad I had 15 minutes to spare.