I know y’all know how excited I have been to get the Fall decorating underway! Now that it’s September, it gives Jenn and I the excuse that it’s now okay to tackle even more Fall projects. This DIY wood sign has been on my to-do list for quite awhile. Do you remember when I made the felt flowers? You can see the tutorial here. The first way that I am using them is for this DIY wood sign for Fall. Let me show you how I put the sign together. (This post contains affiliate links.)
Here’s how I did it:
- Choose a phrase and font. Font size is 1200. Print.
- Rustic weathered sign from the craft store. Here is a similar one from Target.
- White tracing Paper. (sheets are reusable it you don’t use a lot of the paper) You can find the tracing paper here.
- Tape down the tracing paper. Tape down the printed phrase on top of the tracing paper.
- Using a pencil, trace the outline of each letter.
- All of the letters are traced.
- Craft paint and brush.
- Painting inside the traced lines.
- Painting complete.
I gathered the felt flowers that I made a few weeks ago. Next, I started laying them out on my sign for placement.
When I first made the felt flowers I added tape on the back to hold them together. Once I use them for a project is when I bring out the glue gun.
Dots of hot glue are added in between a couple of felt layers, and on the back of the flower. Once I’m happy with the look, all of the flowers and leaves are hot-glued onto the sign. Fortunately, I didn’t burn myself this time 🙂 Have you ever been burned by hot glue? Way.no.fun! Always take caution when wielding your glue gun.
I’ve got to say, I love how my DIY Fall sign turned out! My fall color palette will be gray, cream, rust and a bit of blue. You might even see a little bit of denim. Rustic wood is a biggie for me too.
Here’s how my friends and neighbors are greeted at the front door. The UPS delivery man has already given his thumbs-up approval.
This is a departure for me as I usually have a traditional Fall wreath hanging on my front door. I must say that this new look packs quite a statement.
You will be seeing more fall decor as the weeks progress. If you happen to see any real pumpkins anywhere, let me know!