Please note that this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Rewards Style influencer and Jane Influencer, we earn from qualifying purchases and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
A homemade rice heating pad with lavender is a great gift for family, friends and hostess’ alike.
You know how much we love handmade gifts and most things lavender. We decided to marry the two to create a homemade rice heating pad with lavender – great gift! Mind you, this isn’t just an average heating pad. Ours has super cute wording on them. Let’s get started.
We love heating pads for a variety of reasons. Warmth, soothe sore muscles, ease cramps and more. With the addition of lavender the heating pad provides calm, releases tension and is very relaxing.
Today, we are joining a group of design bloggers sharing their homes and ideas this holiday season. Our friend, Leen from Sand Dollar Lane, coordinated this tour, and you won’t be disappointed.
This is how we do it!
Supplies for each heating pad:
- scrap fabric – we used drop cloth scraps
- sewing machine
- approximately 3-4 cups rice (depending on size of heating pad)
- 1/2 cup dried lavender – *optional
- essential oil – approximately 10 drops *optional
Keep in mind that you can use practically any fabric that you want. If you are making your heating pad with the graphics you need white or very light color fabric.
Easy to make
How to Make a Heating Pad:
- Cut fabric squares. We made various sizes…but most are 12 ½” x 12 ½” squares.
- Print wording graphics onto fabric transfer paper in mirror image (reverse print). (Our printable graphics are below)
- Trim the paper around the wording.
- Following package directions, iron-on the wording to the fabric.
- Let cool completely – about 2 minutes.
- Carefully peel away the paper backing.
- Sew the squares together on 3 sides. Use double stitching as a precaution.Make sure that the graphics are on the inside of your square.
- Turn the square right-side out.
- In a bowl mix together the rice, lavender and lavender oil.
- Fill the square halfway with the rice and lavender mixture.
- Sew the square closed.
Homemade Rice and Lavender Heating Pad Instructions:
Warm in the microwave in 60 second increments until the desired heat is reached. Be very careful to not overheat – avoid burning yourself. Place the heating pad on your tummy, neck, back, shoulders or any body part that needs some TLC.
Now you have super-cute heating pads to giveaway as gifts.
Following are our downloadable graphics. Simply click the link or the graphic:
Also remember, you can make these in any size that you like. Wouldn’t miniatures make for great pocket hand-warmers?
Can’t sew? NO worries at all. Try adding the above mixture into store bought muslin bags like THESE
Let’s see what our design friends have created!