Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
We were taught by our mothers that it isn’t nice to brag about ourselves. Today we are breaking that rule because of our excitement. We won an award from My Home Improvement Magazine!
Typically we never toot our own horn. However, 2 Bees in a Pod was voted as “Best Blog: DIY” for 2017! in My Home Improvement Magazine! Can you believe it?! We are still pinching ourselves!
Undoubtedly we are surprised, appreciative and grateful for this honor. Our blog is a true labor of love and this recognition is acknowledgement of our collective work. Home decor and DIY projects are our passion and we work hard to convey our passion with each and every blog post. For those of you who voted for us, thank you!
Previously we were featured in My Home Improvement Magazine showcasing our post for Upholstered Bench and No Sew Pillows. Today we feel it is appropriate to share this project with you again. Possibly you are new to our blog and this is the first time you have seen it. Welcome to 2 Bees in a Pod. To our loyal readers and followers, thank you! You mean more to us than you will ever know.
This wood slat bench was purchased at a yard sale for just $5.00. Later we discovered that this is an Ikea Mogler bench that retails for $39.99. Total score for us!
There wasn’t anything wrong with the bench as it was. It just didn’t tie into our home decor.
Painting the bench with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White gave it an entirely different and fresh look. You know that we love the power of paint.
Whenever we see sale or clearance fabrics that we love they are purchased for future projects. Fabrics can be pricey so when they are offered for a great deal we can’t pass them up. We love going to our fabric stash, mixing and matching patterns. These fabrics look like they were always meant to be together.
No-sew projects are a quick and easy way to create new pillows and decor for your home. Sometimes we just don’t feel like lugging out the heavy sewing machine “Big Bertha” especially when we are impatient 🙂
No-Sew Pillows – This is how you do it:
Some of our posts contain affiliate links. When you purchase a product through one of our affiliate links, we make a small commission from the company at no additional cost to you at all. Regardless of whether or not we make a commission, we only recommend products we genuinely use, love and know to work.
- Decide what size pillows you would like. Ours were made with 20″x20″pillow inserts.
- Choose 3 coordinating fabrics. One fabric for each pillow and one for the bench. Cut your fabric ¾” larger on all four sides for seam allowance.
- Peel-n-Stick Fabric Tape. No need for sewing OR ironing! This is a permanent adhesive tape made just for fabric. If you would feel more confident with an iron-on tape we like this Heat-n-Bond fabric adhesive. The tape has 2 sticky sides. Lay one sticky side down on right side on the edge of fabric. Peel off paper on the second side of the tape and lay down the right side of fabric edge. This completes the first seam. Continue around for three sides.
- Add pillow insert and close together with final taped edge.
- Foam insert for the bench seat cover – Fairfield Extra Support Foam, 22 by 22 by 4-Inch. This foam is easy to cut if you need a smaller size.
- Do the same process for the bench cover as you did for the pillow.
- Remember to read Peel-n-Stick directions for reassurance!
Beautiful no-sew Pillows
Doesn’t it look great? You would never know that it is the same bench.
These fabrics are still favorites of ours. Thanks goodness we have some leftover for other projects.
Here’s an updated photo of the bench now. It has moved from Vicki’s home to Jenn’s for her Farmhouse Backdoor Entry.
Always remember, if there is something in your home decor that you don’t like – change it! Only live with what you love.
Don’t forget to Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board!
Thank you again for following along! Much love!