Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
It’s a new season for My Dollar Store DIY – Summertime Ideas! This month we created a patriotic planter.
If you love Summer DIY’s and crafts then you’ll definitely want to scroll to the bottom of this post. You will find a whole bunch of them for you to try from our designer friends. Each project is made with Dollar Tree or Dollar Store items! Our patriotic planter was quick and easy to make with just 4 Dollar Tree items. Let’s get started!
These cute plastic terrariums caught my eye at my local Dollar Tree.
At the time, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with them. Technically the terrariums are for succulents.
- Separate your 3-ply napkin to just the one, decorative layer.
- Use a paintbrush to apply a thick layer of Mod Podge to the plastic terrarium.
- Carefully apply the single layer of paper napkin to the Mod Podge terrarium.
- Add more Mod Podge where needed.
- Allow to dry completely.
- Carefully add white rocks to the inside of the terrarium. Approximately 1/4 cup.
- Add approximately 1/4 water.
- Add vining plants or plants that easily grow roots.
Preparing my front porch for Summer and 4th of July, I spotted these patriotic red, white and blue napkins from Dollar Tree. I knew that they would be perfect to create patriotic planters for the front porch. The white stones are perfect to hold down the roots after water is added.
Did you know that a lot of perennial plants can grow roots in water? After I created two patriotic planters, I clipped some cuttings from perennials on my porch.
Roots have already started to grow.
Important Note: If you want your decoupaged terrariums to be weatherproof, you need to add a coating of sealant or varnish.
Hopefully you like these patriotic terrariums. Don’t forget to visit the other designers below for more inspiration!
Don’t forget to Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board!
Let’s see what our friends created: