Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
Hey there…I hope your week is going well. As of this writing, the promised Winter storm for our area has yet to make an appearance other than some snow and ice mixture. But you can rest assured we are relishing our wine and Cheese Ball by the fire 🙂
I wanted to let y’all know that as of this past weekend I crossed a big milestone…I am able to paint furniture again! I’ve made enough progress to move onward and upward and I am ready to paint.
I have really missed painting furniture. For months I’ve been planning which piece I would paint first and what finish I would use. I have dreamt of which color I would use and the room the furniture piece would go in.
I am currently revamping my desk area and workspace at home. It’s funny that Jennifer just showcased her updated work space this week too! Great minds think alike. My area is a bit more labor intensive but I’m working on it a little at a time. I was given a free chair (the best kind) that I knew would be the perfect chair for me and my desk.
So, I gathered my materials and was all set to work.
Now, I wish I could tell you that my first foray back in the saddle was problem-free. You know, like I could hear the angels singing, I didn’t drip a single drop of paint and it was the quickest and most beautiful paint job I had ever done.
Haha… Not exactly! Let me give you a little backstory info first. My garage is a giant mess. Jennifer and I have unpainted furniture and other items for our booth stashed out there – not to mention tons of other stuff. Honey Bee does not like for me to paint anything inside the house – even arts and crafts. His fear is that some paint will get spilled and that some precious item will get ruined.
Well, since I do everything he says (insert laugh track) Jennifer helped me smuggle a couple of pieces of furniture into the house. I laid the plastic sheeting on the hardwood floors, kicked off my sneakers, mixed up my paint concoction in a large Solo cup, bent over to pick something up – and tipped the paint right out of the cup. Paint went everywhere!
There was more paint than what is shown here…I couldn’t really afford to take the time to do a photoshoot. Because I had a paint medium mixed in, the paint was drying very quickly. Panic was definitely setting in as my husbands voice was ringing in my ears. Thank goodness he wasn’t home – and the crisis was averted. I got all of the paint cleaned up and he is none the wiser 🙂
So…here is my free chair. I call it Shabby Castle. The chair has great bones and beautiful detailing.
I knew it would be beautiful once it was painted a creamy white. I used an acrylic based paint with the added medium to paint the fabric.I sprayed the fabric with water and worked it into the upholstery.
I needed to add trim to the chair where the previous trim had fallen off. I was a bit nervous about doing this as I have never added upholstery trim to a chair before. This is what I used…
We are linking up this project with Canary Street Crafts