I recently purchased a little cottage in Ormewood Park of Atlanta and although we got a fairly decent deal for it, the home needed some work. The first room we worked on was the Living Room, thinking it would be the lesser of two evils.
As you can see, the walls were a mustard yellow, which just had to go, but we were lucky with the fact that this room had great bones. It had crown moulding, a fireplace, hardwood floors, and a built in bookshelf. We knew this room had amazing potential, but we just needed to bring new life to it.
The first thing we did was paint the walls…or I should say my Uncle Glenn painted the walls.
We then had the hardwood floors re-finished, which I didn’t think really needed to be re-done, but mom urged us to do so. I guess a mother always does know best because it made a huge difference. And looking back at photos I can’t believe I thought the floors looked okay.
The fireplace was also in much need of a pick me up, so we painted the brick a dark gray and also installed slate on the hearth that we got from the Habitat For Humanity Re-Store.
We also found this great wire basket at Scott Antique Market that we used to create a new light fixture.
And mom, who is so good at sewing, made the curtains and pillows out of fabric we found on Etsy at a great price.
It’s amazing what a little paint and some new design elements can do to a room!