Please note that this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Rewards Style influencer and Jane Influencer, we earn from qualifying purchases and any sales made through such links will reward us a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
Delicious Simple Tomato Soup
Recently my bestie Bambi sent me a recipe for this simple tomato soup. Thank goodness that she did, because it is so delicious and easy to make.
Truth be told, I love soup year-round – not just in the colder months of the year. My favorite soups are varieties of tomato or tomato-based soups. Maybe it’s nostalgia that makes me think of tomato soup as a comfort food. Add in a grilled cheese sandwich and I am transported to my childhood kitchen.
Bambi recently discovered this recipe, courtesy of the Tampa Bay Times newspaper. She raved so much about how delicious it was. I couldn’t resist making myself!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 or 5 large tomatoes, roughly chopped OR two 28-ounce cans whole
- peeled tomatoes or crushed tomatoes)
- 3/4 cup whole milk, half and half or heavy cream
In a large heavy bottom saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent and the carrots are well on their way to softening, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute to distribute the paste. Add broth and stir. Add tomatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for at least 30 minutes, stirring often.
Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree soup in pot until it’s smooth. You can also transfer soup to a regular blender, but let it cool for a bit first.
Add milk or cream just before serving and stir well. Taste, then adjust salt and pepper as needed and serve.
- dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche
- fresh herbs – basil, parsley, cilantro, thyme, tarragon, chives.
- thinly sliced green onions.
- toasted sage leaves.
- grated cheese: Parmesan, Cheddar, Gruyere, Mozzarella or your favorite cheese.
- Parmesan crisps either homemade or store bought
- crispy fried shallots.
Honey Bee raved about how delicious this soup is!
Bambi and I both agree that this soup is perfect served with hearty BLT’s or grilled cheese sandwiches! Thank goodness for my bestie! 😘
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board!