DIY Mason Jar Citronella Candle Oil Lamp…

We plan to spend Memorial Day at the lake, and fortunate enough to extend our stay to four days. In our readiness and preparedness we have been making all kind of stuff that proudly shows our red, white and blue.

We plan to be outdoors most of the time – hopefully by the pool, on the lake and just relaxing in our wonderful weather. Even though our weather is nice, we have already seen telltale signs of pesky mosquitos…yuck! I saw these cute citronella mason jars online, but there was no link to a website or a tutorial – just the photo. I’m fairly crafty and I felt certain that I could figure it out. This is a super-simple DIY project and it just takes minutes to complete!

First you need Mason jars – you decide how many you want to use…

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.I won this box of six at an Ace hardware giveaway :)

Here’s what you need:

• Mason jars
  • 100% cotton rope
  • Citronella oil
  • Hammer
  • Screwdriver

Hammer a hole in the center insert of the jar top. Tip #1 – You can hammer two lids at one time.

I used three strand rope. Tip #2 – Use 100% cotton rope. Nylon will melt, sizzle and quit burning.

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.Tip #3 – wrap the tip of the rope with tape. This will keep the rope from unraveling when you place it in the jar lid.

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.Pour citronella oil into the jar – 1/4 – 1/3 full.

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.Screw the lid into place. Snip the taped end off of the rope.

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.Let the rope soak up the citronella oil for about 10-15 minutes before lighting.

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.Stand back and light it up :)

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.When the rope wicks are first lit, they will burn high. After a few minutes the flame will be more like a candle burning.

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.Take them outdoors and let them work their magic on keeping the mosquitos away :)

DIY Mason jar citronella candle oil lamp. All you need is a mason jar, citronella oil and cotton rope.I hope these DIY citronella candles help you ward off your mosquito problems. Do you have any holiday plans for Memorial Day? We’d love to hear about it :)

Comments

1. says

I can’t wait to try this! I love to eat outside but you’re right those pesky bugs make it rough. This is going to make feel like paradise :)

• 2 Bees in a Pod says

Hey CoCo!

This really was a fun and super quick project. Although, my husband thought I was gonna burn down the house :) I’m fortunate that Mosquitos don’t bother me…guess I’m too sour LOL.

Have a great weekend!

• 2 Bees in a Pod says

Hey Ashley –

I purchased my 100% cotton rope from a marine store at the lake. I have seen 100% cotton rope at a couple of hardware stores as well. Good Luck! If you have trouble finding it – let us know.

Vicki and Jennifer

2. says

I see a lot of interesting articles on your blog.

You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is a tool that
    creates unique, google friendly posts in couple of seconds, just search in google
    – laranita’s free content source

3. JaneEllen says

We don’t live in Midwest but do live few miles out in country west of Grand Junction, CO. We have mosquitos even during day and they seem to really love my hubs. Maybe it’s meds I take that tend to offend them (I hope forever). I will be making some of these to hopefully fend off those nasty critters. Tired of having to spray myself every time I go out to hang laundry. If mosquitoes do try to get me they go for my chubby old lady bat arms. Must be juicy stuff there. Keep hoping our chickens will eat them all but not yet. This is such a wonderful useful thing to make and use jars for. Will just have to find the cotton rope. Here I come Ace Hardware or True Value, (closest stores to us).
    I’m so jealous you get to go to lake to enjoy water. Being on water in summer time is idea of heaven for me. Give me a floaty and some sun screen and I’m in heaven. Hope you enjoyed your weekends there, going for labor day weekend? Happy weekend

4. Charity says

I just made a few of these, very excited to try them! I was wondering, about how long did it take the wick to burn enough that you had to pull more string through the top? Thanks for the awesome DIY!!

5. Nicolette says

These are nifty. Thank you for sharing on how to make them. I live in Denver Co and the pesky bugs are slowly appearing since late part of August to early part September. My question is how long do you cut the rope for the wick to go in the mason jar and how much do you pull threw the hole? What tool do you use to make hole, perhaps a Phillips it looks like in the picture. We are doing our last camping trip for the year and these would be a nice decoration but also keep those pesky bugs away. I use the store bought and they keep mosquitoes away it seems but not other flying bugs. I dont expect perfect but a little more control. These seem to be easy and cheap in general when you put all supplies together for what you spend and how many you get.
    Nicolette

6. Lynn says

Made candles with regular paraffin oil vs. the citronella and fiberglass wicks. However the oil keeps wicking and pooling on the lid. Any suggestions?

• Pat says

What is happening is the flame is creating heat. The heat is warming the lid. When the lid warms it warms the air inside the jar. When air warms it expands. The expanding air builds pressure inside the jar. The only place for the pressure to be relieved is through the hole where the wick is. So it is forcing more oil through the hole and then flows onto the lid. This can be dangerous and could start a fire if unattended.

Most likely the hole you made to put the wick through was too small. you probably had to force the rope through it and once the oil soaked into the rope the rope expanded. Making it an even tighter seal.

Couple solutions:
      1 make the hole a tiny bit bigger.
      2 take a tiny nail and poke a little tiny hole in the lid.
      3 loosen the lid before you light it.

All three of those options will allow the pressure to equalize in the jar. Hope this helps.

7. Katrinainaz says

Thanks for posting such an awesome idea and with such detailed instructions.

How do you think this would work with 4 oz jelly jars? I am going to use your idea for a spring bonfire and would like them to burn about 5 hours. Do you think that is a stretch with 4 oz of citronella per jar, based on your experience?

Again, many thanks. I’ll use this idea over and over. I may try using the oil in old lanterns as well.

• Roberta says

The oil will work well in old oil lamps and wicks are easy to find. I have done that many times with events outdoors. The only thing you contend with is the smoking up of the chimneys. These look great for a 50 year celebration as the citronella is golden in color and the old oil lamps give you the vintage look.

8. says

Awesome content. You should use social websites to increase traffic and make your site go viral.
    There are tools which automate this time consuming process.Visitors
    can flood your website in no time, just search in google for:
    Rixisosa’s Social Automation

9. Tammy says

Can the citronella fuel be used instead of the oil? I bought the fuel by accident and already made the burners but am afraid to light them.
    Thank you!

10. Bryan and Tina says

What happens if the wick burns and falls down into the jar? We made some of these and they are beautiful but we are afraid that the wick will fall and the jar will explode…..

11. Shawn says

I have made these before and a few minutes after I had them burning the flame started to go down the wick into the jar I used regular tiki oil and a tiki wick What can I do to prevent that

12. Kathy says

I tried this, but for some reason the cotton string burned and went out….it never stayed lit. Did I do something wrong? I let the string soak for quiet some time….
    HELP!

13. Lorie Tutwiler says

My sister made these jars. The problem is the jar fills up with smoke and shortly after being lit the wick only shot up and out of jar (it made like an exploding sound). Why would it do this?

14. says

I am having the same problem with my Mason Jar Oil lamps. I bought 100% cotton wicks, soaked them and followed the directions to a T, and my candles WILL NOT STAY LIT. I have made over 15 now, planning on selling them and giving them as gifts – cant give or sell an oil candle that does not stay lit or burns out right away! Honestly, I have quite a bit of money invested and would like to know what I am doing wrong! Tracy

Trackbacks